Tarpon City Comission votes for repeal of flood insurance reform | News
Tarpon Springs, Florida -- City Commissioners in Tarpon Springs are jumping into the fight over flood insurance reform.
At Monday night's special session, the City Commission passed a resolution calling on Congress to take action to amend or repeal the Biggert-Waters Insurance Reform Act of 2012. The new law mandates substantial increases in premiums for flood insurance policyholders in high-risk areas.
A study finds that of the 3,716 flood insurance policies in effect in Tarpon Springs, 896 or about 24%, will likely face higher premiums.
The city urges property owners of homes built before 1971 to get an up-to-date elevation certificate of their property and pass that on to their insurance agent to determine the effect of Biggert-Waters on their flood insurance policy.
Upcoming Events near Tarpon Springs
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- INVESTIGATORS: Corporation forces homeowners to sell property
- Detectives looking for man who robbed a Palm Harbor Radio Shack
- Detectives arrest Holiday man for child molestation
- Traffic: NB lanes on US 19 at Tampa Rd closed
- Pinellas County Sheriff's Office to conduct joint sobriety checkpoint this weekend